There’s one thing I really must eat when I’m at Luca’s parents place in Calabria: FRIED ZUCCHINI BLOSSOMS (Fior di Zucca fritti). Luca’s mom makes those that come from her own kitchen garden!! It has become an addiction just like my pizza addiction… It’s simply so good that I jut can’t get enough of it. And that’s why I share the recipe with you tonight:
- zucchini flowers (as much as you want…Luca’s mom always makes a whole bunch of them! However the ingredients for the batter are for 12 fried zucchini blossoms!)
- sunflower oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 or 2 eggs
- a pinch of salt
How to prepare:
- Wash the flowers carefully, dry them carefully with some soft paper towel and remove the pistils (these are the stalks in the heart of the blossom) and the stem itself.
- Make the batter by mixing the flour, water, eggs and salt until it is the consistency of heavy cream. Tip: use a wide bowl so the zucchini blossoms won’t be damaged.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large skillet. Do not be too sparing, the soil should be completely covered!
- Dip the zucchini blossoms in the batter to coat completely. Fry the zucchini blossoms in the hot oil for a few minutes until crisp and golden brown. Let them carefully drain on paper towels.