A lot of you already saw a preview of these delicious savory muffins on my FB page and as promised…it’s March so today the recipe!! I got the recipe from the site Giallo Zafferano which is full of yummy Italian recipes. For me this site is perfect whenever I’m completely lost what to prepare with a certain ingredient. For example broccoli. Just plain, boiled broccoli is not my favorite side dish I must admit, but I know it’s incredible healthy, so I wanted to use it somewhat differently. I got very interested when I saw the broccoli muffins with parmesan cheese and ham. So of course I’ve tried them out and was instantly hooked! The first time I made them I left the ham out (only because I didn’t have it in my fridge and I was too lazy to go to the grocery store…) and therefore created a vegetarian version. The second time I decided to stick to the original recipe and must say, both are exquisite!!
Ingredients: (for 6 muffins)
- 125 gr all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp yeast
- 100 gr broccoli (if you leave the ham out use 150 gr. broccoli)
- 50 gr ham (in small cubes)
- 50 gr parmesan cheese (grated)
- 100 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 25 gr butter (softened)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC
- Boil the broccoli in salted water until soft. Let it cool down and cut into small pieces.
- Melt the butter and let it cool down.
- Mix the flour, yeast, ham, parmesan cheese and broccoli together in a bowl with a wooden spoon.
- In another bowl mix the milk, butter and egg.
- Add #5 to #4 and mix well (with wooden spoon) but do not over mix the batter.
- Place 6 paper cups in the muffin pan and gently poor the batter in the cups (I always use 2 tablespoons for this!). Filling 3/4 full.
- Bake 20/25 minutes but don’t forget to do the toothpick-test!