What do Italians eat for breakfast? Do you have any idea? I guess most of you think Italians have a cappuccino or espresso (caffè) at a bar accompanied by a croissant (brioche)…am I right?
In Italy we are known for a quick coffee standing at the bar, chatting with others and reading the newspaper and enjoying (once again quick) a croissant. And of course there are Italians who have breakfast in this way. They don’t eat at home but on their way to work.
But not everyone. So if you ask me, it’s a misunderstanding to think that all Italians have breakfast at the bar. There are many Italians that have their breakfast at home. And I’m one of them! One reason is because I don’t want to spend between €1,90 (1 caffè + 1 brioche) and €2,30 (1 cappuccino + 1 brioche) every morning just for breakfast. The other reason… I have no time at all to go to the bar before going to work. It already takes 2 hours to get to work and that’s more than enough for me….don’t want to add extra time just to have breakfast outdoors…;)
So what do I eat during the week? I vary a bit to be honest. Sometimes I have a few rice wafers with marmalade or milk with cereals or biscuits. Lately I’m having yogurt with “superfoods”, as they are called. The superfoods have made their way to Italy as well and of course I’ve tried it out. I got cranberries, goji berries and raspberries and mixed that with yogurt. I added a bit of poppy seeds, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds. Very healthy and very yummy!!
What you should know about Italian breakfast:
- Italians don’t think breakfast is the most important meal of the day. They think lunch is way more important!
- Italians love a sweet breakfast instead of a savory one. So a brioche filled with either marmalade, cream of chocolate, biscuits or other little pastries for breakfast! I love it!!!
- Italians that have their breakfast at the bar ever sit. They eat and drink standing! Let me call it a quick business… It could be that you will be charged more if you decide to sit anyway!
- It’s very common to eat milk and biscuits for breakfast. That’s not drinking a cold glass of milk and eating biscuits like I would do, but that putting many biscuits in a big cup of warm milk and eat it with a spoon. I don’t like it…sorry. Oh and the supermarket has sooooooo many different types of biscuits just for breakfast! Amazing!!
- Nutella is only eaten in the morning for breakfast if not used in some kind of a dessert. Nutella on bread or toast-type of crackers. Nutella is the best!! For those never heard of Nutella…you’ve been missing out on one of the best Italian products ever!!! Run to the store, buy it and try it!!!
- Oh and just a tip… in Italy you drink a cappuccino before 11am!! After that cappuccino is a no-go… Just so you know 😉
How do you start your day? What is your favorite breakfast?